Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) – We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry. OPEC is currently recruiting to fill the following positions.
Job Title: Director, Research Division
Job Code: 2.1.01
1. Defines, in broad terms, a research programme on energy and related matters that is responsive to the needs of the Organization and MCs;
2. Directs and coordinates the work of the Departments in the Research Division according to agreed priorities, and paying particular attention to ensuring that:
- The activities of Petroleum Studies Department (PSD), Data Services Department (DSD), Energy Studies Department (ESD) and Environmental Matters Unit (EMU) are efficiently and appropriately coordinated, and the output is optimal and of high quality;
- The information needs for PSD, ESD and EMU are clearly communicated to DSD and channeled through Public Relations & Information Department (PRID);
- The plans and priorities of DSD are fully responsive to these needs;
3. Plans the activities of PSD, ESD, DSD and EMU and sets priorities among these to ensure that:
- All studies requested by the Economic Commission Board (ECB), other standing committees and working groups are completed to high quality standards and on time;
- Other activities of the Division are appropriately focused on the areas of greatest interest to the MCs;
- Likely future requests for research and analysis are anticipated and requisite preparatory work is initiated;
4. Supervises the Department Heads and Environmental Coordinator reporting to him in assigning staff to studies and research projects, with particular attention to ensuring that:
- Studies that require staff from more than one Department, or that cut across the specific responsibilities of each Department and Unit, are efficiently carried out and appropriately coordinated and staffed;
- All staff are effectively utilized on work of an appropriate level for their skills and experience;
5. Coordinates the work of the ECB and standing committees, assisting them in defining a coherent programme of research to support the policy making activities of the Conference, and supervising the execution of this research programme;
6. Identifies issues of importance to and their implications for the Organization; brings these issues to the attention of the SG;
7. Keeps the SG fully informed of the work of the Division, and draws his attention to specific issues and studies of major importance;
8. Works with the SG and Head, PRID to coordinate the participation of the Secretariat staff in outside meetings and seminars, and reviews proposed contributions by research staff to ensure high quality and in accordance with the interests of the MCs;
9. Reviews the performance evaluation, staff development, salary, promotion and separation recommendations made by the Department Heads and Environmental Coordinator reporting to him and amends these as appropriate;
10. Ensures that the staff in his division receive the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and constantly improve their performance;
11. Defines the Division’s future staff needs and ensures that these are clearly communicated to, and discussed with Head, Finance & Human Resources Department (FHRD);
12. Coordinates the preparation of the annual budget for the Research Division;
13. Makes plans of missions and training for staff in the Research Division;
14. Carries out any other tasks assigned to him/her by the SG.
Required Competencies and Qualifications:
- Advanced University degree preferably in Economics and/or Engineering.
- PhD preferred.
- Advanced university degree: Minimum 15 years whereof 6 years at international level in conducting and/or in planning/supervising research and development work relating to energy, in particular oil, and at least 6 years in high level managerial position.
- PhD: 12 years
- Conducting and leading research on economic and technological issues in the fields of oil and energy.
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Strategic orientation
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Negotiation skills
Status and Benefits
=> Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
=> The post is at grade A reporting to the Secretary General. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Application Closing Date: 8th June, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply online
=> Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
=> Applicants are requested to fill in a résumé and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC.
=> In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than closing date stated above.
Remember: Only those with good and well package/presentable CV, including clear COVER LETTER, indicating your interest to work with Organization Of The Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), will be accepted and call for interview.
To help you out, please read=> How To Write A Good Cover Letter (Top 25 Tips To Write Effective Cover letters)