Application Deadline: Not Yet Announced.
Brief Description About the Scholarship Program.
The Mastercard Scholarship Program will provide scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Scholarship is Offered annually
About the Award: The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The vision of the Program is to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
|MasterCard Foundation scholarship Beneficiaries|
In 2017, 42 opportunities (13 undergraduate and 29 Masters) are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and Masters Study. No applications for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship for Honours studies at UCT in 2017 will be considered.
Eligible Countries: All Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Scholarships will be taken at South Africa.
Eligible Fields of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
Type: Masters, Postgraduate and Undergraduate.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must meet the stated criteria:
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Seek and gain admission to a Master’s and Undergraduate programme and commence with their first year of registration in any of the faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second postgraduate degree at the same level (i.e. Master’s degree) are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for a Master’s degree at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at the University of Cape Town are eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards. Although each academic department has its own academic criteria, a minimum of 60% for undergraduate or an equivalent degree is the general academic criterion required for entry into the Master’s programmes.
- The comments on the academic abilities of the applicant by the academic referees will form part of the academic criteria for this scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be required to produce the original academic transcripts on arrival and registration at UCT
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is not the primary language.
Financial Need Eligibility
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
- Full declaration of all financial and educational details required must be recorded in the Affidavit (Section B) provided on The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, postgraduate Master’s scholarship application form or the online application form.
- Details of all property and assets of any nature must be declared.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee.
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria
Value of Scholarship:
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
How to Apply: In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Candidates are also encouraged to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.
Apply for Mastercard Masters Scholarship at UCT
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details
Award Provider: Mastercard Foundation
Now that all the information about Mastercard Fully Funded Scholarship Program for Sub-Saharan African students at the University of Cape Town South Africa has been delivered nicely; talented students who are eager to pursue their Free Tuition/Scholarships/Study In South Africa for Undergraduate Bachelors, Associate Degree and Other Degrees, can apply now.